PRETTY SHADY- One Generation, One Summer at a time

I am going to be part of the genertation that stops skin cancer, one Summer at a time.  But it is not just me that will be grabbing skin cancer by the horns and strangling it. There are also a whole heap of amazing celebrity ambassadors who will be spreading the word.

PRETTY SHADY is fronted by a team of inspirational tastemakers who are leaders in their field – from fashion to skating, street art, music and surfing. Each has a unique link to the cause and champions one of the five PRETTY SHADY items.
CORBIN HARRIS Professional Australian Skateboarder and TV Personality, CORBIN HARRIS has collaborated on the PRETTY SHADY sunglasses.

NICOLE WARNE
International fashion blogger from Gary Pepper Vintage, NICOLE WARNE, is behind the PRETTY SHADY x Basil Bangs beach umbrella.
GOSSLING
Singer songwriter Gossling’s debut album 'Harvest of Gold' launched on November 1 and has been met with worldwide applause. Gossling not only lends her voice to the soundtrack of the PRETTY SHADY manifesto video, she is also the face of the PRETTY SHADY hat.
ANTHONY LISTER
Internationally acclaimed street and contemporary artist, ANTHONY LISTER provides one of his famed original artworks for a bespoke PRETTY SHADY t-shirt.
ELLIE-JEAN COFFEY
Pro-Surfer and recent winner of the ASP Australasia Pro Junior Championship, Ellie-Jean endorses the PRETTY SHADY branded sunscreen.

I will be spreading the word on this as loudly as I can, as it is something that is super close to home for me. There have been many scares and scars in my family that’s to skin cancer. And just speaking about it makes me shiver down to the core, remembering the day my mum got the results on a tiny spot on her lower back…. And then the tears and heartache that followed, as this was the second time my mum has had a form of Cancer.


I have no idea why this generation doesn’t think that skin cancer is seriously deadly and can take your life as quickly as it appears. Skin cancer is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer and can spread from head to toe faster then a lot of other “serious” cancers- THIS IS SERIOUS.

I would much prefer to be pale white and live life happily knowing I am not damaging my skin and playing Russian Roulette with skin cancer. I am more then happy with a fake tan from the can rather then baking my skin in the sun. The way I think of it is when you pop a chicken in the over it starts off nice and white. Then once it begins to cook it starts going brown, this is exactly what you are doing to your skin when you go out and tan….

Okay I will shut up about my opinion and me now and want to let EVERYONE out there know about PRETTY SHADY.
 This summer, history will be made with the launch of a new summer sun safety campaign for NSW – PRETTY SHADY. PRETTY SHADY is designed to drive the message of skin cancer prevention to young Australians in a unique way.

As it stands, Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. It’s the most common cancer affecting Australians. In fact, two in three of your friends will be diagnosed at some point in their lives. But change can happen. Stopping sun damage stops 95% of melanomas.
By sharing this knowledge, taking positive action and encouraging others to do the same, we believe this generation can make a difference. That lives can be saved.

Each year, we’ll be releasing five good-looking items that protect you from the sun. Each one reflects a positive action towards the prevention of skin cancer – shade, clothing, hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.
Driving the movement is a manifesto video by acclaimed director Josh Logue, who has worked with some of Australia’s most exciting musicians including Empire of the Sun, Birds of Tokyo, Josh Pyke, The Rubens and Gossling. The manifesto video, which is set to the soundtrack of Gossling’s summer hit ‘Harvest of Gold’, seeks to encourage and empower young Australian’s to be part of the generation that stops skin cancer, one summer at a time.
The manifesto also features PRETTY SHADY’s five Collaborators from the worlds of fashion, music, sport and art. Each one shines a new light on the serious issue of skin cancer prevention.
GET PRETTY SHADY
PRETTY SHADY will be giving away 2,500 PRETTY SHADY Logo Tees to residents of NSW through http://www.prettyshady.com
WIN PRETTY SHADY
The PRETTY SHADY items are housed on http://www.prettyshady.com
All NSW entrants have the opportunity to win a piece of PRETTY SHADY – each month, for five months, a different limited edition item will be released.

Together we can be part of the generation that stops skin cancer, one summer at a time.
I was also lucky enough to be able to ask two of the ambassadors for Pretty Shady some questions and thoughts on Skin Cancer. I wanted to compare how different there thoughts were and also let others know skin Cancer is out there and it WILL KILL!!!
So the first beautiful lady we will hear from is Ellie- Jean Coffey who spends most of her life out in the sun being a Pro Surfer

Ellie-Jean Coffey

What was the main reason you jumped on board with the Pretty Shady Campaign other then it is a great cause?

I’m still young and I want to grow up with the best skin possible.

Pretty Shady to me is about not wanting myself or one of my friends to go through being diagnosed with melanoma. This is serious, and we need to know about the dangers.

Though my job, I’m out in the sun every day, and I am vigilant about doing what I can to protect my skin. I’ve jumped on board to use my influence to spread the message to other young girls and guys that you can enjoy all the beach has to offer and still protect yourself.

A lot of the younger generation (including myself) these days crave the whole tanned look and take extreme actions to get the ultimate tan. How do you think we could start phasing this out and bring back that natural skin look rather then the tan?

I believe young people are influenced to tan from the people they aspire to look alike. Although unfortunately some of these inspirations are unrealistic.

For example if you have quite fair skin and wish to tan as dark as say, Pop Star Rihanna- people will undergo these rather extreme actions of hours spent in the burning hot sun or solariums in order to accomplish the tan. I think if you want to have a certain look you should be realistic about it according to your skin tone. Complimenting what you already have will not only be safer but it's in my opinion a much nicer look! There are natural products you can buy to enhance/moisturise your skin, which I use at nighttime as I have dry skin from the sun and salt after a long day of surfing.

The short-term look of a tan after having sacrificed your skin in the sun is entirely unworthy. In the long run we are not only risking unhealthy, damaged, cancerous cells in our skin, but also wrinkles!!! As a female I would like to have soft beautiful skin when I am older and I do everything I can so that I will achieve that. 

Your career is based on the beach under many suns of this world, how important is it to you to keep your skin as protected as possible?

Most of my life is spent at the beach. It’s my home and something I want to be able to enjoy forever, so I never go out without sunscreen.

I wear a bikini in the water because I surf the best that way. But I always apply sunscreen and re-apply every two hours.  When I’m not competing I’m in the shade with a hat, t-shirt and sunglasses on – always.

People talk about many different cancers and Melanoma is usually swept under the rug or not considered as dangerous as the rest. When the facts are it is very aggressive and can take your life just as quick as the other cancers. Why do you think our generation doesn’t take skin cancer and melanoma so seriously?

I think our generation doesn't take skin cancer so seriously because they have not seen the long-term effects first hand. My friends are all young and beautiful, radiant and full of life. They're outside tanning, surfing, swimming, and enjoying the summer and what this amazing world has to offer. It's almost comical the cliché but you hear your parents and grandparents yell "make sure you wear sunscreen", "don't be in the sun between 12-2", "wear a hat", "protect your skin for gods sake", and it's because they know first hand the dangers of skin cancer, their friends have suffered from the damages if not themselves. The results showed up on their faces in the wrinkles, and/or in a doctors office as he stood there with the devastating results of a problem that could of be prevented- and will, if we just take some time out of each day to be sun smart. 

Have you personally been effected by melanoma or skin cancer whether it is yourself, a family member or friend?
My grandfather, his father and his uncle all worked in the sun for many years; this was before our understanding on the damage the sun can cause.

The second amazing lady is Gossling- An artist I have personally gone and watched under the sun while she performed and did not realise I was even baking my skin raw red. I do believe we need to take Pretty Shady to music festivals and events to help raise awareness.

GOSSLING



-       What was the main reason you jumped on board with the Pretty Shady Campaign other then it is a great cause?

I wanted to work with Pretty Shady and be responsible by spreading the message of how important it is to protect your skin. The decision to contribute to the campaign by using one of my songs and putting my face to the fight was a very easy one to make.


-       A lot of the younger generation (including myself) these days crave the whole tanned look and take extreme actions to get the ultimate tan. How do you think we could start phasing this out and bring back that natural skin look rather then the tan?

I think it's extremely unfortunate that we would put ourselves in such danger to fit in with a phase in fashion. I think fashion is cyclical though and I hope that overly tanned skin falls out of popularity soon and never comes back. Pale, porcelain skin has so much beauty to it.


-       Being a lady in the music scene and often playing your own gigs and also at festivals that are outside usually in the extremely hot Aussie sun. Seeing a lot of money and awareness goes out to drugs in this scene do you also think Pretty Shady should also be made aware of at festivals?


I think Pretty Shady taking skin protection awareness to the music festival scene is a great idea. Music festival fashion is in a league of it's own! And quite often includes baring a lot of skin. When festival-goers are sitting directly under the sun for hours on end, music is your main focus and it can be really easy to lose track of time and forget about re-applying sunscreen.  

-       People talk about many different cancers and Melanoma is usually swept under the rug or not considered as dangerous as the rest. When the facts are it is very aggressive and can take your life just as quick as the other cancers. Why do you think our generation doesn’t take skin cancer and melanoma so seriously?

I think we've become lazy and it's lead to us being flippant in regards to skin cancer. We need to be constantly reminded that the sun can be dangerous. There is no excuse for not taking Melanoma and skin cancer seriously.

-       Have you personally been effected by melanoma or skin cancer whether it is yourself, a family member or friend?


I have had family members who have been affected by Melanoma. Having someone close to me be affected by Melanoma is enough of a daily reminder that sun damage is serious.


Please help spread the word on PRETTY SHADY both on social media and if you have a blog please post and share!!!